Sunday, July 13, 2014

Many exciting trips and tours!!


In the past week me and a couple of the other interns took a trip up to the Allegheny National Forest in order to get a hands-on feel of our work. We stayed in Warren County and looked at the Buckaloons and Loleta State Parks. The Buckaloons area had a town called Irvineton, it was owned by a wealthy family known as the Irvines. The family invested in oil which helped me in georeferencing the historical maps. One of the maps showed an area rich in oil close to their estate! It was exciting seeing out the other interns projects and mine combining. During the trip in what was left of Irvineton, we got a tour of what was left of the old Irvine estate. Unfortunately, the property has been demolished. Archaeologists on site showed us the footprints and other various locations of what remained of the estate. Trees and other vegetation has completely taken over what used to be a rich family mansion. The ice house where the family stored ice was still intact. There have been rumors there was a secret passage in it which led to the kitchen. There wasn't any proof though and no proof saying there was no passage so it could actually be possible. Our next stop was Loleta. Loleta was a project made by the Civilian Conservation Corp during the years of the Great Depression to bring tourists to the forest. There was a pool area which the CCC beautifully
constructed. Several cabins were constructed around the site to be a functional recreation area. Later I got to see old historical blueprints of Loleta layout at the Alleghany Forest Office. It was a great experience going up there and seeing a part of Pennsylvania that I have never been to before. Another very exciting tour I just went on was seeing the inside of the capitol dome! The Keystone Interns had a very special and rare opportunity to go inside and look around the structure. It was incredible! There was a ring passageway around the base of the dome and doors leading right to the interior balcony looking down at the rotunda! After climbing a number of ladders, I was in a crawlspace, it turns out the state capitol is two domes with an outside and inside dome. While climbing up inside, I could see the windows which decorate the outside and light up at night! At the top of the crawlspace, there were a few windows for ventilation which was at the very top centerpiece section. I managed to sneak a picture above at the night sky painting and at the staircase way below. There was a hatch at the top, which led outside to the top section right under the Statue of Commonwealth. Words cannot describe the view and the experience. My next challenge in the oil field mapping was georeferencing. At first it doesn't seem like its all that hard. Turns out most of the maps are broken into section pieces. Once I georeferenced them on the computer, I found out none of them were proportionate to each other at all. None of the polygons I was using in order to georeference oil fields matched up. I restarted georeferencing and focused on the the county borderline. This was better but considering the fact the historical maps I was using were not proportionate completely to the modern geographic surface interfaces we use today, it was impossible to figure out how to pinpoint the maps. I was one of my superiors if I should photoshop the map in order to make it one map again and georeferencing easier. After some thought he agreed and I photoshopped the map pieces. Due to the age of the material, many edges have been torn, faded, or
frayed off making it much more challenging to match up the pieces. I managed to completely stitch the map back together and georeference it. It isn't accurate as I wanted it, but it made my job easier in plotting the oil fields on the modern geographic surface. This week I am going to Philadelphia for a conference historical structures. I will post about my adventures as soon as the trip ends!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment