Monday, June 30, 2014

ArcMap systems a go!


I have been getting more confident using the Cultural Resources GIS database. It is a challenge to understand which labels housing properties would fall under. Not all fall in the same category or is black and white. There are many properties which are being reviewed for demolition. There was a case where I was researching a site and making sure the properties fell in the same locations on the historical maps obtained in the documents. I compared it using Google Maps. It took me a little while to match up the houses and structures. The documents also came with photographs. Looking at the photographs I could pinpoint the exact grounds they were all located in. After a close look with some of the sites, I figured out that some farm storage sheds were completely demolished before the PHMC could draw a conclusion if the structures were eligible or not. With that, I added to the database that the farm sheds were completely demolished and was told that it is common when structures are reviewed to be demolished. There is nothing which can be done though. In addition to learning more in depth to the cultural resources, I attended a meeting to understand how the PHMC's budget system works. They also addressed, the Pennsylvania State Archives will be moved to another facility which is yet to be built. The archives tower will be replaced with The State Museum's artifacts for extra storage room. The site of the new archives will be very close to HACC's Wildwood campus. It is across from Cameron Street and somewhere next to the USPS building. I am disappointed though because I always saw the State Archives as a facility in full collaboration with the museum. With it going to a new spot, it would be awfully more difficult to travel back and forth. I liked the idea of having Pennsylvania's history in one spot. Change is inevitable so I guess I have to look at the positives this change will present. In addition, ArcMap is now completely installed (finally) and I have already begun georeferencing a large historical map of Warren County's oil fields. It was in a total of nine pieces. It was a challenge to match up the points because the roads and natural landmarks such as lakes, streams, or swamps were out of proportion due to the fact that it was hand drawn and the person rendering used information based on various people's accounts. Overall I matched up the map the best I could and I think it is a good result for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment