Friday, August 1, 2014

A wonderful experience...

Well its been a good summer interning with the PHMC. Last week I sat in on a seminar and was given an example of a situation in which the PHMC has to handle at times. Apparently some of the Cultural Resources data was inaccurate and it caused construction workers to halt their work in order to preserve the site and develop an alternative solution. An interesting scenario but important to grasp because there might be a challenge like this in which I might have to help manage someday. On Monday the intern coordinator offered a farewell lunch for us at the Speakeasy. It was nice to have a final meal with all of the amazing people I had the opportunity to work with. On Tuesday, the Keystone interns were invited to attend a planetarium show in the State Museum. The show was narrated by Tim Allen and talked about how different organizations across the globe are competing to develop a technological method for anyone to go to the moon at an affordable price. Of course it is a very long stretch but it was interesting to see some of the different innovations and ideas the different groups focused on in order to achieve this goal. Penn State apparently has a program to build a rocket and land on the moon and travel at least 500 meters with a lunar rover on the surface. I never knew there were so many people working on this. It makes me feel great that we are developing technology which will allow anyone to see this one day. I finished my Allegheny National Forest map georeferencing for the summer. Hopefully I paved a road well enough for future interns to pick up the pieces. During the week I worked on presenting Esri Storymaps regarding the internship and the various places I traveled and the project I worked on. The links to these maps are provided below. Everyone was very amazed that there was such amazing technology available. My supervisor suggested I should share the Ephrata Cloister storymap with the staff of the site down in Lancaster. I will show it to them once I get the chance. I have to say, with all the trips and seminars I attended this summer this was a fantastic internship and a great opportunity to understand the efforts that the PHMC puts out in order to help keep the state of Pennsylvania the way we see and know it.


Allegheny Oil Fields - My main work for the PHMC:

 http://hacc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/SimpleViewer/index.html?appid=d95ec353b00345779248e590f041ae95



Trip to the Allegheny National Forest:

http://hacc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=7a892940201447e8aa24702f5d907f1e&webmap=618903d1389e41a4a960955e509a4cda



Layout of the Ephrata Cloister:

http://hacc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=e3dab6f01ed146deab7769bfbb3dc86f&webmap=b8a3493f8ae249e2bb47737d8bc8f321

No comments:

Post a Comment